Rhubarb and Pear Crisp
- 5 rhubarb stalks
- 2 d'Anjou pears
- 3 Tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 orange (juice and zest)
- 1/2 cup Stonewall Kitchen Strawberry Apple Rhubarb Jam
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 pound butter, diced small
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- cold water
- For the filling, slice rhubarb on the bias creating 1/4-inch slices. Peel and slice the pears. Then, toss in a bowl with the brown sugar, spices, jam and orange.
- Set aside to marinate.
- For the crust, combine flour, sugar, salt and enough water to form a ball. Allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll into a rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick.
- In the center third of the rectangle, disperse the diced butter. Fold in the side, as if folding a letter.
- Roll dough out again to 1/4-inch thickness, and repeat the same folding procedure. Roll out and fold one more time, then refrigerate the dough for another 20 minutes.
- For a free-form look, roll dough out into 9-inch circles, place rhubarb filling in the center and crimp the edges. Brush the dough with a beaten egg, and bake in a 425 degree F oven for 15-18 minutes.