Downeast Whoopie Pies with Stonewall Kitchen’s Award-winning Black Raspberry Jam - Makes 16 large or 3 dozen small
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1-cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks, beaten until light colored
- 5 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Stonewall Kitchen Black Raspberry Jam (or another Stonewall favorite).
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar (more may be needed)
- 1-cup marshmallow creme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together shortening and sugar. Add egg yolks, stir to blend.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add vanilla to milk.
- Add dry ingredients to shortening/ sugar mixture alternately with milk/ vanilla mixture.
- For small whoopie pies drop by heaping teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes. For large whoopie pies drop by heaping tablespoons and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool cookies. Sandwich together with Stonewall Kitchen Black Raspberry Jam and the filling and wrap with waxed paper for the true “downeast diner” look.
- Cream shortening and 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar.
- Beat in marshmallow creme, salt and vanilla.
- If too thin, add more confectioners’ sugar.