Dulce De Leche Poached Pears
Recipe Tip: Vanilla sugar can be made by placing a vanilla bean in the sugar and letting it sit several hours or preferably overnight. This flavored sugar can be stored up to several weeks in an airtight container. Remove the vanilla bean before using.
- In a pot large enough to hold all of the pears on their sides mix the wine, 1 cup of water, sugar and cinnamon stick. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce to a simmer. Stir until sugar is dissolved and simmer 10 minutes.
- While the sugar syrup is simmering, peel the pears leaving the stem on. Slightly cut the bottom of the pear so it will stand up straight. Core the pear by working a small knife up into the fruit from the bottom and gently remove the core.
- Place the pears in the simmering sugar syrup on their sides. Baste frequently and cook approximately 30-45 minutes. Turn the pears every 10 minutes until the pears are tender when pierced with a knife on all sides. Remove the pears with a slotted spoon.
- Reduce the syrup over medium heat until thickened, approximately 10 minutes. Drizzle the syrup over the pears. Refrigerate until ready to serve. The pears can be made several hours ahead.
- Just before serving slightly warm the Dulce De Leche Sauce on the stovetop or in a microwave. Spoon several Tablespoons of sauce over each cooked pear. Serve at room temperature.