Baby Crab Cakes with Spicy Remoulade Sauce
- 1 lb. Lump crab meat
- 3 large egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons dry prepared mustard
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons finely minced chives
- 2 teaspoons finely minced shallot
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Spicy Remoulade Sauce:
1/4 cup cucumber (small dice)
2 tablespoon yellow bell pepper (small dice)
1 tablespoon scallions (chopped)
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoon Stonewall Kitchen Tequila Lime Cocktail Sauce
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the egg yolks, mayonnaise, dry mustard, Old Bay Seasoning, celery salt, the lime zest, cilantro, chives and shallots.
- Whisk well. Add the crab meat and bread crumbs. Add the pinch of cayenne.
- With a spatula, gently fold the crab and crumbs into the mixture.
- Sprinkle the mixture with about one tablespoon of the lime juice. Gently combine.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Saute a small amount of crab mixture to taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Form into 8 crab cakes.
- Refrigerate for a few hours before cooking.
When ready to cook:
- Heat a saute pan over medium-high heat and add two tablespoons of unsalted butter and 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- When the foam has subsided, add half of the crab cakes and saute on each side until crisp and brown.
- Remove the cakes to a paper towel lined platter and place in a low oven until ready to serve.
- Repeat steps with remaining butter, olive oil and crabcake mixture.
- Combine all remoulade sauce ingredients and serve with crab cakes