Apple Streusel Tart – Serves 8
For the Tart:
- Single crust pie dough, enough to line a 9-inch tart pan
- 4 apples (such as Granny Smith, McIntosh or Macoun), peeled cored and sliced thin
- 1/2 cup Stonewall Kitchen Sea Salt Caramel Sauce or use our other dessert toppings: Coffee Caramel, Maple Honey Caramel or Bourbon Pecan
For the Streusel topping:
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup pecans or walnuts, toasted and chopped
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll pie dough into a 10-inch round. Ease dough into a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom and press it firmly into the edges. Roll pin over the top to cut off excess dough. Place in the refrigerator 15 minutes while you make the filling.
- Heat dessert sauce in the microwave or in a small sauce pan over low heat until it is pourable, but not hot. Toss apples and sauce in a medium bowl until well coated. Place apples in the prepared tart crust.
- Place streusel topping ingredients in a bowl and work with your hands until uniformly mixed and the crumbs are the size of small peas. Sprinkle over the apples.
- Place tart on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the crust and top is golden brown and the apples are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove to cooling rack and cool.
- Remove rim of tart pan, slice and serve.