Winter Vegetable & Chicken Stew
Simply the best chicken stew - a wonderful winter supper for family or casual dinner guests. Serves 8.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 large parsnips, sliced
- 2 cups butternut squash
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 cups low fat chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless chicken breast, 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 3/4 cup Stonewall Kitchen Curried Mango Grille Sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and slice carrots and parsnips 1/4-inch thick. Peel and cut butternut squash into 1/2-inch chunks. Cut chicken into 1-inch cubes.
- In a large sauté pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and the crushed garlic. Cook until tender.
- Add the cubed chicken and cook through.
- In a 6 quart Dutch Oven, bring 5 cups of chicken broth to a boil. Add carrots, parsnips and squash. Cover and cook until tender. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove 2 cups of the mixture and puree. Add back into the pot to thicken.
- Add sautéed onions and chicken to the vegetable mixture.
- Add Curried Mango Grille Sauce, golden raisins and couscous. Cover and lower heat.
- Let simmer for 5 minutes. Stir and let simmer another 5-10 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with rounds of garlic toast.