Curried Mussel and Split Pea Salad
This is a delicious side dish or light entree.
- 3 pounds mussels
- 1 butternut squash
- 1/2 pound dry split peas
- 1 red onion
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 bunch scallions
- 1 orange
- 2 Tablespoons curry powder
- 1 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup cooking sherry
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 Tablespoons honey
- salt, pepper & red pepper flakes to taste
- Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette
- In a small sauce pan, simmer the split peas in a salted water until tender (do not overcook.)
- Meanwhile, in a large sauté pan, brown the red onion (diced) in a small amount of olive oil. Once the onion has begun to turn golden in color, add the minced garlic, curry powder, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Maintain cooking on high heat (stirring frequently) being sure not to burn the garlic.
- Add the mussels and then deglaze with sherry and white wine, cover the pan and allow to steam until all the mussel shells have opened.
- Once opened, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the butternut squash, sauté over medium/high heat until browned and finish by roasting in a 400 degree F oven until tender, about 10 minutes.
- By now the mussels should be cool enough to remove from their shells. Toss the mussels, butternut squash and split peas in a large bowl, and allow to cool completely in a refrigerator.
- Just before serving, toss with Stonewall Kitchen Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette.