- For the onions, heat a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the oil and the onions, sprinkle lightly with Maine Sea Salt and ground Black Peppercorns.
- Sweat and then cook the onions until a deep golden brown. This may take up to 45 minutes.
- Add a few Tablespoons of water if the onions begin to look dry. When the onions are browned, set them aside.
- For the tortillas, have a foil lined baking pan ready. Heat a grill pan or frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Lightly brush each side of a tortilla with oil and toast on each side until it browns. As each tortilla is finished, allow to cool on the foil lined pan.
- Arrange four of the toasted tortillas on the foil lined sheet pan.
- Divide half of the cheese over the tortillas. Divide the onions over the cheese and top with the remaining cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper. Top with the remaining tortillas and press down on them to compress.
- For the chipotle cream, stir together the sour cream, chipotle puree, 1/4 teaspoon salt and a good grinding of pepper.
- Taste for seasoning and add the minced cilantro.
- Bake in a pre-heated 425 degree F. oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and heated through.
- Remove from the oven and immediately cut into 6 pieces.
- Arrange on an attractive platter with the chipotle cream as a garnish.
- Serve with an assortment of Stonewall Kitchen Salsas.
Stonewall Kitchen Ingredients