Made With Our
For the Crust:
- 1 1/4 cup plus 2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour, plus more to dust work surface
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 6 Tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 Tablespoons vodka
- 1-2 Tablespoons cold water
For the Creamy Lemon Filling:
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup whipping or heavy cream
- 1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Lemon Curd
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
For the Meringue:
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
For the dough:
- Combine the flour, salt and sugar in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse several times to mix ingredients.
- Add the butter and shortening and pulse 10-15 times until the mixture is the texture of coarse sand.
- Add the vodka and pulse several times. With the processor running, add the water one tablespoon at a time until the dough just comes together into a ball, but is not wet. Do not process too long or the pastry will be tough.
- Dump the dough out on a generously floured surface and work into the shape of a disc.
- Wrap in wax or parchment paper and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degree F and adjust rack to the middle of the oven.
- Roll the dough out on a generously floured work surface until it is about 1 1/2-inches bigger on all sides of a 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Gently transfer and ease into the dough into the tart pan trimming the excess dough.
- Press a piece of foil on top of the dough and refrigerate 15 minutes. The foil will prevent the dough from shrinking while baking. Bake crust 10 minutes.
- Gently remove the foil, prick bottom and sides with a fork in several places and continue baking 2-4 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool completely. Increase the oven to 425 degree F.
For the filling:
- Place the mascarpone and cream in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, a hand mixer may also be used.
- Mix on medium speed until combined. Scrape down sides and add the Lemon Curd and sugar. Mix on medium speed until thick and creamy.
- Spread filling over tart crust.
For the meringue:
- Make sure the mixing bowl is clean and free of any oil or grease.
- Whisk the egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- Add the sugar, vanilla and salt and continue to whisk on high speed until stiff peaks form, but the egg mixture is still smooth.
- Pipe or spread meringue over lemon filling making sure the meringue touches the edges of the crust to prevent shrinking.
- Bake for 4-6 minutes until the meringue is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool.
- Refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to overnight before serving.