Made With Our
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup Stonewall Kitchen Fig & Walnut Butter
- 3/4 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup nuts, such as pecans or walnuts, chopped and toasted
- Combine the shortening and brown sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (a hand mixer can also be used). Cream until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix until uniform (scrape the sides of the bowl when necessary). Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk together. Slowly add flour mixture to the shortening/sugar mixture, and mix until dough forms a ball.
- Remove the dough. Form a disc and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or grease. Roll dough into a 14-inch square. Cut into 4 equal pieces (14x3 1/2-inch strips).
- Combine the Fig & Walnut Butter, dates and nuts. Divide into 4 equal parts. Put filling in a strip down the middle of each section of dough.
- Lift sides and fold over, overlap slightly on top. Press edges to seal. If dough forms small cracks, gently press with fingers to remove cracks.
- Place seam side down 3-inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Cut each strip into 1-inch crosswise pieces, but do not separate.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven. Cool 5 minutes. Cut pieces apart.