A mid-day weekend brunch buffet is a wonderful way to celebrate the season with the special people in your life. With a buffet the mood is more casual and guests can leisurely fill their plates and choose to sit or mingle where they want.
These delicious recipes are easy to make and will be enjoyed by both adults and children. Best of all, when everything is ready to go you can actually relax and enjoy time with your guests.
Apple Crumb Cake
- 2/3 cup plus 4 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla or flavored extract
- 5 large apples, cored and sliced thin
crumb topping ingredients
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 ounces cold butter in pieces
syrup topping ingredients
- Beat together oil, milk, and eggs. Mix in dry ingredients. Gently stir in vanilla or other flavoring.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into a greased 11 x 17 pan. Lay apples over the mixture to create a colorful pattern.
- Cover apple with a thin layer of crumb topping. Repeat with the rest of the apple slices, batter and topping. (Top layer of crumb mixture should be thick to completely cover the fruit.)
- Bake 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Combine syrup and cream in a heavy saucepan and heat, stirring.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature with warm syrup topping.