Raspberry Liqueur Hot Fudge Layer Cake
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans..
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, baking soda and salt. Whisk until uniform.
- In a small saucepan combine the butter, shortening, water and cocoa powder. Heat over medium-low heat until the butter and shortening melt and the mixture comes to a simmer. Occasionally whisk while heating until ingredients are combined.
- In a small bowl whisk together the buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
- Add both wet mixtures to the flour mixture, stirring until just combined. Pour batter into prepared baking pans. Lightly tap the pans to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven for 25-35 minutes until cake is firm in the center and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cakes on a wire rack 10 minutes before removing the layers from the pans. Cool completely.
- For the frosting use a mixer fitted with a paddle on medium speed and combine the mascarpone, cream cheese and butter until uniform and fluffy. Add the Raspberry Liqueur Hot Fudge Sauce, confectioner's sugar, and vanilla. Mix well.
- For the glaze heat the Raspberry Liqueur Hot Fudge Sauce and cream in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk until combined. Set aside to cool.
- To assemble cake place one cake layer on serving plate. Coat with frosting. Make two concentric rings of raspberries, one near outer edge and another towards the center. Place the other cake layer on top. Pour the glaze over the top of the cake allowing some to drip down the sides. Top with additional raspberries.