Apple Crumb Cake
- 2/3 cup plus 4 Tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla or flavored extract
- 5 large apples, cored and sliced thin
For Crumb Topping:
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 1 Tablespoon flour
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 ounces cold butter, cut into pieces
- Beat together oil, milk, and eggs in medium bowl. Mix in dry ingredients. Gently stir in vanilla or other flavoring.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into a greased 9x13-inch pan. Lay apples over the mixture to create a colorful pattern.
- Cover apple with a thin layer of crumb topping. Repeat with the rest of the apple slices, batter and topping. The top layer of crumb mixture should be thick to completely cover the fruit.
- Bake at 350 degrees F. for 50-60 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- For the syrup topping, combine syrup and cream in a heavy saucepan and heat, stirring frequently.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature with warm syrup topping.