Apple Crumb Cake
This recipe will become a favorite, one of your most requested by family and friends.
- 2/3 cup plus 4 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla or flavored extract
- 5 large apples, cored and sliced thin
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups walnuts
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 4 ounces cold butter in pieces
- 1 cup Stonewall Kitchen Cinnamon Apple Syrup
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Beat together oil, milk, and eggs. Mix in dry ingredients. Gently stir in vanilla or other flavoring.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter into a greased 11 x 17 pan. Lay apples over the mixture to create a colorful pattern.
- Cover apple with a thin layer of crumb topping. Repeat with the rest of the apple slices, batter and topping. (Top layer of crumb mixture should be thick to completely cover the fruit.)
- Bake 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Warm Syrup Topping:
- Combine syrup and cream in a heavy saucepan and heat, stirring.
- Serve cake warm or at room temperature with warm syrup topping.