Zero Waste and Sustainability Program
- We are working towards diverting up to 90% of our waste from landfills.
- Each year over 200 tons of material from our manufacturing facility is recycled.
- Our Café, Cooking School, York Store, Research and Development Lab and employee dining area have all embraced a recycling program that includes composting.
- 420 lbs of glass from the York Company Store alone, is recycled every week.
*Each ton of recycled material conserves: 17 mature trees; 463 gallons of oil; 24 gallons of gasoline; 4,100 kw-hrs of electricity, 7,000 gallons of water, 3.5 cubic yards of landfill airspace. Sources; U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Institute of Scrap Recycling Industries and Waste Management.
- We use packing peanuts made of an ecologically responsible, naturally composting, corn and potato bi-product.
- Peanuts are water-soluble, and compostable or recyclable.
*Please be aware that our peanuts should not be mixed with other non-biodegradable peanuts when disposing of them.
- Already this year (January-April 2012) we have sent 6000 lbs of food waste to a local farm, Seacoast Farms. This local farm takes in all kinds of organic waste and turns it into rich fertilizer in about 6 months, which Seacoast Farms sells back to gardeners, landscapers and other farmers.
- We use a local company called SmartFuel, to recycle our used fryer oil from our Company Store Café.