Bread Pudding in Toast Cups - Makes 12
- 9 pieces sliced bread, crust removed, roll or press bread flat (Cinnamon Raisin Bread works well)
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Apple Cranberry Chutney
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brandy, cognac or dark rum (optional)
- 3 cups half and half
- 3/4 pound day old bread, crust removed, cut into 1/4" cubes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- In a muffin tin (1/2-cup capacity) press a bread square in each space, allowing edges of bread to come up the sides of the muffin tin creating a cup
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until bread is brown and bread is dry to the touch
- When toast cups are done, remove from oven and lower heat to 350 degrees
- In a bowl, combine eggs, brown sugar, salt, vanilla, Apple Cranberry Chutney, cinnamon and brandy. Whisk well to combine.
- Add half and half and whisk until frothy.
- Transfer custard to a 4-cup capacity measuring cup. There should be some custard and chutney pieces left in the bowl
- Place bread cubes into the bowl and toss with remaining custard.
- Leave the toast cups in the individual muffin cups and distribute the bread cubes evenly among them
- Pour custard mixture over the bread cubes, filling about halfway
- Allow mixture to soak into bread cubes for about 1/2 hour, pressing occasionally to help absorb liquid
- Bake in a water bath until puffed and firm in the center about 40 minutes