Valentine's Day Sweetheart Cake
- 1 box Stonewall Kitchen Chocolate Layer Cake Mix
- For the cake-
- 1 large egg-
- ¼ cup oil-
- 1 cup water-
- For the chocolate frosting--
- 14 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened-
- 1-2 teaspoons milk-
- ¼ cup Stonewall Kitchen Seedless Raspberry Jam
- Mascarpone Whipped Cream-
- 1 cup whipping cream, chilled
- 1 tablespoon confectioner’s sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ounces mascarpone cheese, room temperature
- A few drops red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously grease and flour two heart shaped pans. Line bottom of each pan with parchment paper.
- Make the cake batter according to box instructions. Bake 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center tests clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove cake layers and parchment paper and allow to cool completely.
- Make chocolate frosting according to box instructions and set aside .
- When layers are cooled. Place one layer on serving plate or cake pedestal, flat side up. Heat raspberry jam slightly until it is spreadable. Spread a thin layer of jam over bottom cake layer as well as a thin layer of frosting. Place second layer on top, flat side down. Frost top and sides of cake with the remaining chocolate frosting.
- To make the mascarpone whipped cream to decorate the cake; whip the cream in a chilled bowl until soft peaks form. Add the sugar and vanilla being careful to not over whip the cream. Fold in the softened mascarpone cheese until uniform. Mix in food coloring until desired color is achieved. Place mascarpone whipped cream in a pastry bag fitted with a star tip and decorate the cake. Serve to your sweethearts!