- Over a water bath, whisk egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until very light in color and doubled in volume. Gently whisk in caramel.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites with the remaining sugar until the stiff peak stage and set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk heavy cream until medium peak stage.
- To combine, fold egg whites into caramel mixture, a little at a time, then fold in whipped cream in two stages. Pour into serving dishes. Allow to chill at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with espresso powder and confectioner's sugar or cocoa powder (optional).