Old Fashioned Gingerbread Cake
Infused with old-fashioned goodness, our dense gingerbread cake is topped with finger-licking good lemon pear cream cheese icing.
- Nonstick vegetable spray
- 2 1/3 cups flour, sifted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 1 cup boiling water
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 2/3 cup Stonewall Kitchen Lemon Pear Marmalade
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a 9x9-inch square pan with vegetable spray. Line bottom with parchment paper and spray again.
- Blend flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together. Add ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves and sift.
- In a separate bowl, combine eggs with brown sugar, molasses and butter. Sift flour-spice mixture into bowl with eggs and sugar and stir to blend. Add boiling water and stir until batter is smooth.
- Scrape mixture into prepared pan and bake until center springs back when lightly touched, and a knife comes out clean when inserted into center, about 40 minutes. Remove and let cool on a rack.
- While cake is baking, combine cream cheese with Lemon Pear Marmalade and refrigerate until needed.
- When cake is cool, invert cake onto a plate and peel off parchment. Spread icing over cake, cut into 16 squares and serve.