Sesame, Quinoa, Butternut Squash, and Pear Salad
- 1 1/2 cups diced butternut squash or pumpkin (1/2 inch dice)
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Comice pear, halved, cored, and diced (1/2 inch dice)
- 12 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup roasted pistachios
- 1 cup arugula
- Place the squash in a shallow baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 7 to 8 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife. Let cool to room temperature.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the quinoa, water, soy sauce, sesame oil, cinnamon, allspice, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes; fluff with a fork.
- Let cool almost to room temperature. Gently fold in the squash, pear, and tomatoes.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard and olive oil; spoon over the quinoa mixture and toss lightly. Arrange the salad on a platter or individual plates and serve warm or chilled. Sprinkle with pistachios and arugula just before serving.