Caramelized Onion and Aged Cheddar Quesadillas
- Eight, 7 inch flour tortillas
- 1 pound yellow onions, sliced thinly
- Olive oil
- 8 ounces aged cheddar cheese, shredded (smoked Gouda may be substituted)
- 1 small can Chipotle Chiles in Adobo Sauce, pureed
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely minced
- Stonewall Kitchen Maine Sea Salt and Mixed Peppercorns
- Serve with any Stonewall Kitchen Salsa - Stonewall Kitchen Black Bean Salsa, Stonewall Kitchen Spicy Tomato Salsa, or Stonewall Kitchen Spicy Corn Relish
For the onions:
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the oil and the onions, sprinkle lightly with Maine Sea Salt and ground Mixed Peppercorns.
- Sweat and then cook the onions until a deep golden brown. This may take up to 45 minutes.
- Add a few tablespoons of water if the onions begin to look dry. When the onions are browned, set them aside.
For the tortillas:
- Have a foil lined baking pan ready. Heat a grill pan or frying pan over medium high heat.
- Lightly brush each side of a tortilla with oil and toast on each side until it browns. As each tortilla is finished, allow to cool on the foil lined pan.
For the Quesadillas:
- Arrange four of the toasted tortillas on the foil lined sheet pan.
- Divide half of the cheese over the tortillas. Divide the onions over the cheese and top with the remaining cheese.
- Season with Maine Sea Salt and ground peppercorns. Top with the remaining tortillas and press down on them to compress.
For the Chipotle Cream:
- Stir together the sour cream, chipotle puree, 1/4 Tsp. Maine Sea Salt and a good grinding of Mixed Peppercorns.
- Taste for seasoning and add the minced cilantro.
- Bake in a pre-heated 425 degree F oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and heated through.
- Remove from the oven and immediately cut into 6 pieces.
- Arrange on an attractive platter with the chipotle cream as a garnish.
- Serve with an assortment of Stonewall Kitchen Salsas.