Old Fashioned Trifle
England’s Queen Victoria’s love of sweets was legendary. This opulent version is inspired by her favorite holiday dessert. It’s easily assembled ahead of time.
- 2 cups vanilla yogurt, stirred until smooth
- 1 (1-pound) pound cake, cut into 3 X 1 X 1-inch pieces, or ladyfingers
- 1/2 cup sweet sherry
- 1/4 cup cognac
- 1 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1 jar (13-ounce) Stonewall Kitchen Strawberry Rhubarb Jam, Peach Amaretto Jam, or Peach Pomegranate Jam
- 1 (16-ounce) can juice-packed pineapple cubes
- 2 small ripe bananas, sliced
- 1/2 pint heavy cream + sugar to sweeten
- Cocoa powder to garnish
- Pour yogurt into a large, deep, decorative bowl. Cover bottom and sides of bowl with cake pieces.
- Moisten with sherry and cognac and sprinkle on 1/2 cup of the almonds.
- Spoon on Stonewall Kitchen Jam, then pineapple and bananas.
- Whip cream with sugar until stiff. Fill a pastry bag fitted with a decorative star tip. Pipe onto trifle.
- Dust with cocoa and sprinkle on remaining almonds. When serving, be sure to spoon from the bottom of the bowl.