Spicy Shepherds' Pie
Add a kick to an old family classic. Perfect for a cool evening supper.
Recipe Tip: If not serving right away, allow potatoes and ground turkey to cool completely before layering.
- 4 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 1/2 cups light cream
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 jar Stonewall Kitchen Spicy Corn Relish
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon whole cumin seed
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped finely (1 tablespoon reserved)
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 1-1 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Cut potatoes into 1-inch chunks. Place in a large pot filled with salted water and boil until tender, (approximately 15 minutes).
Turn heat to low.
- Drain off water and add 1/2 stick of butter and 1 1/2 cups of light cream.
- Let simmer for about 10-15 minutes. Mash with a potato masher until thick and smooth. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Sauté chopped onion, whole cumin seed and all but 1 Tablespoon of the chopped cilantro for about 2-3 minutes until
onion starts to turn translucent.
- Add ground turkey and continue to cook until turkey has browned. Drain off liquid. Add flour and sauté 2-3 min. Add 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock and simmer until sauce thickens. (Add more stock if needed.) Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Start to layer ingredients in a large rectangle glass or ceramic ovenproof casserole dish.
- Add the ground turkey, spreading evenly to cover bottom of pan. Add the Spicy Corn Relish and cover the ground turkey with an even layer. Press down to pack tightly.
- Finally top it off with the mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle the top with salt, pepper and the reserved 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro.
- Bake in a preheated 350 F. oven for 35-40 minutes.