Brown Sugar Strawberry Sour Cream Cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 5 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- 1 cup Stonewall Kitchen Strawberry Jam
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 Tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1 Tablespoon orange liqueur or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries
- Fresh mint to garnish
- Confectioner's sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line the bottom of two 9-inch cake pans with wax paper. Butter the bottom and sides of the pans.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, brown sugar and white sugar.
- Beat together the five eggs and add to the butter mixture. Mix well.
- In a separate bowl sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Alternate adding 1/3 of the dry mix and 1/3 of the sour cream into the butter mixture blending just until incorporated.
- Once dry mix and sour cream have been added, stir in Strawberry Jam.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until done. Cake will spring back when touched in the center. Cool cakes in the pan on a wire rack approximately 15-20 minutes then remove cakes from pans and allow to cool completely.
- For the filling, combine whipping cream, confectioner's sugar and orange
liqueur in a cold bowl. Beat until cream forms soft peaks.
- Soften the mascarpone cheese then stir in 1/2-3/4 cups of the whipped cream. Chill.
- Set aside three strawberries of similar shape and size. Slice remainder of strawberries. Chill strawberries until ready to use.
- To assemble, slice each cooled cake in half horizontally. Place first slice onto a platter.
- Spread 1/4 of the whipped cream filling onto the top of the cake then top with 1/3 of the sliced strawberries. Repeat with the next two layers.
- Place the last layer on the cake and dust with confectioner's sugar. Spread remaining 1/4 of the whipped cream filling onto the top layer and garnish with the three reserved strawberries and fresh mint.