- 1 1/2 ounces rice noodles
- 2 large baby cucumbers, peeled and julienned
- 1 cup carrot, shredded (package or salad bar)
- 3 scallions, white and part of the green, finely minced
- 1/2 pound small shrimp, cooked
- 1 bunch fresh mint, washed well and dried
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed well and dried
- 1 daikon radish, peeled and julienned
- 10 spring roll wrappers
- 2 teaspoons chopped shallot
- Juice and zest of one lime
- 2 Tablespoons Nam Pla (Asian fish sauce)
- 1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Stonewall Kitchen Hot Pepper Jelly
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed, finely minced
- 1 bottle Stonewall Kitchen Wasabi Ginger Sauce or Roasted Garlic Peanut Sauce
For the Asian Sauce:
- In a small bowl, combine the shallot, lime juice, lime zest, the Nam Pla and the rice wine vinegar.
- Whisk in the Hot Pepper Jelly and 1/4 cup water, taste for seasoning.
- Add the finely chopped jalapeno and allow this to rest while you make the spring rolls.
- For the Spring Rolls:
- Cook the rice noodles in boiling salted water for about 2 minutes until tender.
- Drain and rinse in cold water.
- Drain again, and toss with 2 Tablespoons of the Asian Sauce. Set aside.
- Julienne the cucumber, stopping when you reach the seeds.
- Julienne the radish and set both aside.
- Place all the filling ingredients: cilantro, mint, shrimp, radish, cucumber and noodles in separate bowls.
- Place 4-5 mint leaves, then 3-4 cilantro sprigs in the middle of the spring roll wrapper.
- Top with a small bunch of rice noodles, carrot, radish and cucumber.
- Place 4-5 shrimp on top of the rolls.
- Fold two short sides in over the ingredients and then slowly roll from top to bottom, compacting ingredients.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 1 hour or until serving time. Can be made one day ahead.
- Unwrap each roll from plastic wrap and cut on the diagonal to make two pieces.
- Place on a serving platter with the Asian Sauce in one bowl and Wasabi Ginger Sauce or Roasted Garlic Peanut Sauce in the other. Garnish with fresh herbs, if desired.