Chocolate Bread Pudding with Bourbon Caramel Sauce - Serves 6
- 10 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- One, 1 lb. loaf Challah, crusts removed, cut into 1” dice (12 cups) Stonewall Kitchen Maple Honey Caramel Sauce
- Bourbon to taste
- Whipped cream, garnish
- Preheat oven 325. Butter ( not non-stick spray) 8x11 baking dish.
- In a medium glass bowl microwave the chocolate at high power for 15 second intervals until melted, stirring between intervals.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat bring the milk and cream to a simmer.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, egg yolks, with 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, and salt.
Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into egg mixture, then whisk in the melted chocolate.
- Spread challah cubes in prepared dish and pour the chocolate mixture over the top. Press bread into the custard until evenly soaked. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 Tbsp sugar over top. Set baking dish in a roasting pan and fill halfway with hot water. Bake the bread pudding about 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean. Remove dish from water bath and rest 20 minutes.
- Bourbon Caramel Sauce: Heat 1 jar of Stonewall Kitchen Maple Honey Caramel Sauce. Add 2-4 tablespoons (or more!) of bourbon. Mix well. Bring to simmer stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Drizzle over bread pudding and serve with whipped cream.