Chocolate Bread Pudding with Bourbon Caramel Sauce
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1-pound) loaf Challah, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch dice (12 cups)
- Stonewall Kitchen Maple Honey Caramel Sauce
- Bourbon to taste
- Whipped cream, garnish
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter (not non-stick spray) 8x11-inch baking dish.
- In a medium glass bowl microwave the chocolate at high power for 15 second intervals until melted, stirring between intervals.
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat bring the milk and cream to a simmer.
- In a large bowl whisk the eggs, egg yolks, with 1/2 cup sugar, vanilla, and salt.
- Slowly whisk the hot milk mixture into egg mixture, then whisk in the melted chocolate.
- Spread challah cubes in prepared dish and pour the chocolate mixture over the top. Press bread into the custard until evenly soaked. Let stand 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining 2 Tablespoons sugar over top. Set baking dish in a roasting pan and fill halfway with hot water. Bake the bread pudding about 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean. Remove dish from water bath and rest 20 minutes.
- For the Bourbon Caramel Sauce, heat 1 jar of Maple Honey Caramel Sauce. Add 2-4 Tablespoons (or more) of bourbon. Mix well. Bring to simmer stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Drizzle over bread pudding and serve with whipped cream.