- Melt chocolate over low heat; cool.
- Cream shortening and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and beat until light in color and texture.
- Stir in chocolate and vanilla.
- Add pancake mix to the chocolate mixture alternately with milk.
- Spoon batter into cupcake pans lined with paper liners.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 15-18 minutes, or until cupcake tests done with a wooden pick.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool completely before frosting.
Note: For more uniform cupcakes, use an ice cream scoop to fill cups.