Made With Our
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks, beaten until light colored
- 5 Tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Stonewall Kitchen Black Raspberry Jam or another favorite Stonewall Kitchen Jam
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar (more may be needed)
- 1 cup marshmallow creme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For the whoopie pies, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream together shortening and sugar. Add egg yolks, stir to blend.
- Sift together dry ingredients and add vanilla to milk.
- Add dry ingredients to shortening/sugar mixture alternately with milk/vanilla mixture.
- For small whoopie pies drop by heaping teaspoons onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F for 8-10 minutes. For large whoopie pies drop by heaping tablespoons and bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool cookies.
- For the filling, cream shortening and 1 1/2 cups confectioners's sugar.
- Beat in marshmallow creme, salt and vanilla. If too thin, add more confectioner's sugar.
- Sandwich together with Black Raspberry Jam and the filling and wrap with waxed paper for the true “downeast diner” look.