Made With Our
For the focaccia bread
- ½ cup Napa Valley Naturals Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tablespoons fresh rosemary, diced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh sage, diced
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons (1 packet) dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 ½ - 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
For the sandwich
For the bread:
- Add the olive oil, garlic, 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary and 1 tablespoon fresh sage to a medium, heavy bottomed skillet. Place the skillet over low heat and slowly warm the oil until it becomes fragrant, about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, add the lukewarm water, yeast and honey. Whisk by hand until frothy and let sit for 5 minutes until it begins to foam.
- Add 1 cup of the flour, ¼ cup of the oil mixture and ½ teaspoon of salt to the water and yeast mixture. With the bread hook attachment, slowly mix until the flour is all moistened. Allow to sit for an additional 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, continue to add more flour, about ½ cup at a time, until it just begins to form a loose ball. Do not overmix.
- Turn the dough onto a floured surface and knead (adding additional flour as needed) until the dough is no longer sticky and forms a uniform ball. Place into a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour (or until double in size).
- While the bread is rising preheat the oven to 450° F.
- After the bread has risen, take a 9x13” baking sheet and add 2 Tablespoons of the oil mixture. Rub it all over the bottom and up the sides to ensure the bread does not stick. Turn the dough into the pan and with your hands press the dough down until it evenly fills the pan, touching all sides.
- Pour the remaining oil all over the top of the bread. Sprinkle the remaining herbs and salt and, with your fingers, gently press down all over to dimple the bread. Allow to sit for about 20 minutes before baking.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
For the sandwiches:
- When the bread has cooled enough to touch, slice it into 6 squares. Slice each piece in half, length wise to create 2 the slices of sandwich bread.
- Stack the bottom piece with your favorite fillings. Spread Roasted Garlic Aioli on the underside of the top piece and place on top and serve.