Made With Our
For the cake:
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zestv
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Gingerbread Butter or Holiday Chutney
For the crumb topping:
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- For the cake - Preheat oven to 350° F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with butter and line with parchment paper allowing enough paper to come up the sides of the pan and over the top edges forming a “sling.” Beat butter, sugar and lemon zest with a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, or a hand mixer, until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and ginger together in a small bowl. Alternately add the flour mixture and sour cream starting and ending with the dry ingredients mixing between each addition until just combined.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and spread even with a spatula. Place dollops of the Holiday Chutney or Gingerbread Butter over the top, swirl and poke into the batter with a knife (do not mix in completely).
- For the crumb topping - Combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Add butter and mix with a fork until well combined and crumbs form. Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the top of the cake. Bake for 35-45 minutes. The cake is done when a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean (avoid sticking the toothpick into the chutney or butter). Cool completely.
- Remove cake by running a knife along the edges of the cake that touch the pan. Gently remove the cake by lifting the sling. Place on a cutting board. Cut into 2-inch squares and serve immediately. (Can also be stored several days in an air tight container.)