1 Butter Pie Crust Recipe (recipe follows)
For the filling:
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 jar Sour Cherry Jam or Bada Bing Cherry Jam
- 5 cups fresh or frozen (thawed and drained) cherries*
- 3/4 cup crumbled pure almond paste
*Can use either red tart cherries or dark sweet cherries. Also, if cherries are small, you can add more than 5 cups.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup slivered almonds
For the Butter Pie Crust:
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter, chilled and diced
- ¼ cup ice water
Butter Pie Crust:
- In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in water, a tablespoon at a time, until mixture forms a ball. Flatten slightly into a round disk, wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Roll dough out to fit a 9-inch pie plate. Place crust in pie plate. Press the dough evenly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Place prepared pie crust in 9-inch glass pie plate.
- For filling, in large bowl, stir together cherry jam, cherries and any remaining juices, flour, sugar, and the cinnamon.
- Sprinkle almond paste over crust bottom in pie plate. Spoon cherries on top of crumbed almond paste.
- For topping, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and almonds. Cut in butter until crumbles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle evenly over cherries.
- Bake 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes until cherries are bubbling and topping is golden brown. After about 30 minutes, you may place foil around edges to prevent crust from getting too dark.
- Serve warm or cool.