- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, oil and milk. Add in the cornbread mix, powdered mustard and paprika and fold together with a spatula until it is mixed thoroughly.
- Begin heating your oil for frying in an electric fryer or a heavy sided pot on the stove. Heat oil to 350°F.
- While oil is heating, insert skewers into hot dogs lengthwise. Pat the hotdogs dry with a paper towel. Sprinkle the flour over a plate and roll the hotdogs in the flour so they are fully coated. Tap them on the side of the plate to remove any excess flour.
- Pour the cornbread mixture into a tall drinking glass (tall enough to dunk the full hotdog in). Dip the hotdog into the cornbread mixture and allow to drip slightly to remove any excess. Leave behind a thick enough coat to cover the hotdog, but not be able to see through the batter.
- Gently lower dipped hotdog into preheated oil so it is fully submerged. Allow to fry for 3-5 minutes, turning every 30 seconds or so, until all sides are golden brown.
- Remove from oil and set onto a paper towel lined plate. Continue process with remaining hotdogs.
- Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce!
(Note: If you batter is not sticking, either the hotdogs are not fully coated in flour or your batter layer is too thick)
*If you have remaining batter, you can pour it into a muffin tin lined with cupcake liners. Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.