Made With Our
For the berries:
- 1 pound strawberries (about 3 cups), stemmed and sliced
- 1/4 cup Stonewall Kitchen Organic Strawberry Vanilla Jam
For the biscuits:
- 3 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- 1 stick unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup whole milk, plus more to brush tops of biscuits
For the sweetened whipped cream:
- 1 cup heavy cream, chilled
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Position rack in center of oven.
- Combine strawberries and Organic Strawberry Vanilla Jam in a small bowl and set aside.
- For the biscuits combine 2 Tablespoons of sugar with flours, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a bowl. Add butter and work with a pastry blender until the butter is the size of small peas. Pour in whole milk and mix with a wooden spoon until the flour is worked in and a soft dough forms. Do not overwork.
- Roll dough on a floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, to a 3/4-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter or shape by hand into circles about 2 1/2-inches in diameter. Place on greased cookie sheet (or lined with parchment paper). Brush tops lightly with milk and sprinkle on remaining sugar. Bake until shortcakes are golden brown, about 13-16 minutes. Remove pan from oven and let cool.
- For the sweetened whipped cream combine heavy cream, 1 Tablespoon sugar and vanilla in a chilled bowl and beat into soft peaks.
- Split shortcakes horizontally. Spoon strawberries on the bottom half of each shortcake. Add a large dollop of whipped cream. Place cake lids on top and serve immediately.