For the meatballs:
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 cup flour, separated
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, slightly whisked
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 Tablespoons Maple Shallot Teriyaki Sauce
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- ½ cup water chestnuts, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2-3 Tablespoons Oil
For the sauce:
- ½ cup Maple Shallot Teriyaki Sauce
- ¼ cup unsalted chicken stock
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- Combine panko bread crumbs and milk in a small dish and set aside until the liquid is absorbed. In another small bowl, combine ½ cup flour, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl add the egg, garlic, teriyaki sauce, green onions, water chestnuts, ground chicken, remaining flour and panko mixture and gently combine using your hands until it is well mixed.
- Form into 1” meatballs and roll each gently in flour mixture until well coated. Place on baking sheet and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes.
- In a frying pan, heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat. Add meatballs so they do not touch and have enough room to flip over (this may need to be done in 2-3 batches). Brown all sides of the meatballs and remove from heat, continuing until all meatballs are cooked through.
- Once meatballs are cooked and removed, in the same pan add all ingredients for the sauce with the exception of the green onions. Bring to a boil and allow to reduce and thicken (about 10 minutes). Once the sauce has thickened, add the meatballs back to the pan and toss to coat.
- Mix in green onions and serve.